But if there is one article that players should read from the first to last word, it should be this one: what to do when seeking help for a gambling addiction.
It is no secret that Australian players love playing for real money through online gambling and our legit, world-class casinos are some of the most popular in the world.
However, gambling problems do exist, and they have the potential to tear apart families and ruin lives.
What kicks off as a fun pastime can become a serious issue if it begins to impact your daily life or create unnecessary financial problems negatively.
If any of these sound like you, this article can help you:
- you spend a lot of time gambling
- you want to know more about problem gambling
- you would like help with quitting or reducing your gambling
- you are in debt because of your gambling
What Are The Signs of Gambling Addiction
Just like any addiction, Aussie players have a problem admitting that they may have a gambling addiction.
In fact, it’s common for people with this addiction to try and hide it from others. Common signs of gambling addiction include:
- thinking or talking about gambling all the time
- spending more money or time on gambling than you expected to
- gambling when you feel sad, anxious, or distressed
- spending more amounts of money on getting the same rush of adrenaline
- betting more to chase losses
- previous failures at trying to reduce or stop gambling habits
- signs of irritability or becoming restless when attempting to reduce gambling activities
- relying on other people for money because of your gambling losses
- feeling depressed or having suicidal thoughts
What Effect Can Gambling Addictions Have
Australians with gambling problems often see this issue negatively affecting every aspect of their lives, as well as the lives of the loved ones around them. Some of the effects that gambling addiction can have include:
- falling into debt and not having sufficient finances for bills or everyday expenses
- harmful conflicts with family members or partner
- underperforming at work or failing subjects at uni
- loss of relationships with friends and family
- higher chance of developing mental illnesses or stress, including depression and anxiety
- lashing out in anger or experiencing guilt and loneliness
- increased likelihood of substance abuse or drug addiction
- increased rate of alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking
- increased number of days or leave taken from work
How Australians Can Get Help for Gambling Addiction
Although the effects can be devastating, the good news is that there are many resources and help available for players.
It is recommended that players seek professional help; however, a variety of self-help avenues are available, which we will share below.
Players can take part in group-based sessions to share their experiences with others who are in a similar place in life. These groups promote positive forms of recovery and can be joined through Gamblers Anonymous or SMART Recovery.
Visiting your GP is the first step to getting a referral so you can see a specialist or a therapist.
There are also options for Aussies through Relationships Australia and the Salvation Army.
How to Get Help Over the Phone
Problem gamblers might still be coming to terms with the realisation of the issue, and in these cases getting help over the phone is the only option they will consider. Players can get help by:
- calling the Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858 at any time for free telephone-based counselling (the call is free too)
- calling the Financial Counselling Hotline on 1800 007 007 for help with financial-based issues
- calling Lifeline and speaking to a telephone counsellor for free 24/7 support with personal difficulties or distress related issues.
When in doubt, call out.
How to Get Help Online
Visit any of the following help/reach out services for gambling addictions. Each of these websites has information and support tools, including beneficial videos of people talking about similar circumstances players may be facing.
Remember that all of the services outlined in this article are confidential. For friends of players that are struggling, you can contact these services too as they are great resources for finding out detailed strategies to help your friends or loved ones.
Planet 7 Oz Casino promotes responsible gambling for players, and we ask that you always consider supporting the help and services that are available.
Always gamble responsibly and know when enough is enough.